Sunday, June 21, 2015

Push yourself

One thing I am not; a runner! I've always had excuses as to why I couldn't run! First, I'm an asthmatic! Even when having to do the mile run in high school, I was lucky if I finished in 12 minutes. From time to time, I would get on a treadmill and still last less than 30 minutes. So I always labeled myself as a non runner and always had in my head that I couldn't do it!

I was tired of my own excuses. Since January, I have dedicated my Sunday's as "Sunday Runday"; where I would run a 5k every Sunday no matter how long it took me. I started off slow on a treadmill at the gym and would warmup for half a mile, run a mile, walk half , run half and cool down for a half mile. I slowly worked my way up to running for two miles without stopping. That felt like progress for me, until I took my 5k to the streets and boy, what a difference. I felt like I took two steps back because I couldn't run for a straight two miles like I did on a treadmill. Obviously my streets were not a flat surface and it was not a controlled climate. Again, here was another excuse I was allowing myself as to why I could not run!

Enough was enough. I told myself that I must run in the neighborhood, rather than on a treadmill, and however long it took me, it took me! It is what it is! Without giving myself excuses, I just ran! Instead of worrying about my time, I just ran! Instead of worrying about the weather, I just ran! I just focused on my breathing and positive thinking and just ran! 

I pushed myself today despite the things I used to worry about and I am nothing but proud of myself! I ran under a ten minute mile this morning. I can't say I've ever done that! Now to some that might seem like nothing, but to me, it was an accomplishment! I can and will call myself a runner! No matter what it is you want to accomplish, believe in yourself and you can do it! Push yourself! Your mind gets in the way of what you think you can and cannot do! Tell yourself you can and you will! 

Regards from this runner,
Mac


No comments:

Post a Comment